If you are looking to rent a storage unit, one of the questions to ask the facility is what hours you can access your unit during. Some facilities only allow you to access your unit during certain times of the day, typically during daylight hours. Other facilities are open 24 hours, allowing you to access your unit whenever you want. There are pros and cons to a 24-hour storage facility. Learning these pros and cons can help you determine if it is ideal for your storage needs. Keep reading to learn about some of these pros and cons.
The Cons of a 24-Hour Storage Facility
- May Increase the Crime Rate
One of the biggest concerns with 24-hour storage facilities is the crime rate. Many facilities do not allow 24-hour access because those who hang out around the facility in the early morning hours may be up to no good. While there may always be bad people looking to take advantage of a situation, a great storage facility may be able to combat this by having the right security features in place. However, you still should be aware that 24-hour facilities can have increased crime rates.
- You May Not Have 24-Hour Facility Support
The other downside to a 24-hour storage facility is that the term 24-hour facility can be misleading. While you may have access to your belongings 24 hours a day, there may not be anyone in the office 24 hours a day. As such, if your gate code won't work or if you need to make a payment, you may not have the support you need.
The Pros of a 24-Hour Storage Facility
- Allows You to Access Your Belongings Whenever You Want
The biggest advantage to having 24-hour storage is that you can access your belongings whenever you want. If you work odd hours or are mostly awake at night, you can go to your storage unit at a time that is convenient for you.
- Can Make Moving in Easier
- The other benefit to a 24-hour storage facility is that it can make moving in easier. If you are moving your belongings into a storage unit, you may want to move everything in in one day. If the facility has limited hours, you may have to stop what you are doing and come back the next day. This can be an inconvenience and may cause you to have to pay extra for the moving truck you are using. At a 24-hour facility, you don't have to start and stop. You can keep moving in until all of your stuff is moved in.
Companies that do not allow 24-hour access to your storage unit often do so to help reduce the amount of crime to their storage units and to prevent injuries due to a lack of lighting. If you are looking into getting a facility that allows 24-hour access, make sure they offer a variety of security features, such as monitored cameras and security guards and that they provide adequate lighting.
Contact a company like E-Z LAKEWAY STORAGE for more information and assistance.